Centre pipe welds - Is this right?

skymera

Brutal Honesty
So got my new centre pipe, seemed ok.

Just been examining it and noticed this odd looking weld.

Here's the pipe
98eg40.jpg

And here's the weld, is it meant to be like that? as in...slanted?
kewva9.jpg

or have I now got to give someone and ear bashing?
:confused:

Is that at the CAT end or the back box end mate?

If its the back box end it might be welded at the right angle but they havnt bothered cutting the pipe flush at the end!

If its the CAT end, thats well off!

ok,, so a 5 or so minute phone call.

At first they said if it's faulty it will need to be returned with MY money, they will then send it off to be "examined". IF it's deemed faulty I will finally be refunded postage and a replacement sent out. How long will that take? I don't have the time or money!

Getting irate at this point, so I send them the pic over eBay. Tell the chap on the phone and he puts me on hold to speak to his supervisor. After a few minutes he says it does look faulty and he needs to call the supplier to check if it's correct. He said to expect a call back in 10-15minutes.

I have a funny feeling that they will say it IS supposed to be an angle, but it still isn't flush! I could grind it down myself, so long as the angle is right.

Annoyingly I bought a backbox earlier on eBay, guess who from? Yep...

VICTORY!

He just rung me back, supplier confirmed it was faulty, they've accepted responsibility and new one will be here Tuesday sometime. :D

Got my new delivery and getting seriously peed off now.

Here's new centre pipe, weld is straight but not flush with end of pipe?

bbj1x.jpeg

And here's fitment onto the back box THEY supplied!!

7rUUi.jpeg

I suppose I could just grind excess pipe away then use some gun gum?

I'll get another back box in the future but will it be blow free fitted flange to flange and a hefty amount of gun gum?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

as skinner says, some cheap aftermarket parts usually require abit of extra work/tweakin to make em fit.
here carefully grind only the excess pipe end off till its flush with the flange. try not to damage the flat flange face else it'll affect the seal.

the centre/backbox are normally joined with a crush-type donut seal, they are kept located on the flange via abit of the pipe end that sticks out 1-2mm but not 10mm as you have there, but i always find they slip off-centre to the backbox flange during fitting and don't seal well. the pipe end on mine is grinded flush to the flange and always used gumgum to seal that flange no probs.

note when refitting a gumgummed flange, i always scrape off the old dried paste to present a good flat metal surface to seal against.

Could you cut slots around the excess pipe mate and bend it in slightly so it fits inside the backbox pipe?

Would be a slightly smaller internal diameter but would help seal it, (wouldnt need loads of exhaust putty then)

Thanks for replies!

I'll look at cutting and bending it inwards slightly :)

Could you cut slots around the excess pipe mate and bend it in slightly so it fits inside the backbox pipe?

Would be a slightly smaller internal diameter but would help seal it, (wouldnt need loads of exhaust putty then)

i'm not sure, tis like trying to fit the same very thick walled straws inside one another within a very small distance

heres a pic, see if the lips are bent like 45deg to fit inside the backbox pipe, the two flanges will still be miles away and needs a ton of putty to seal plus the excess lips will be restricting the exhaust
scaled.php

even if the backbox pipe end was cut further back from the flange you'll still have a massive gap to fill

scaled.php

so what i suggest is simply cut flush the pipe ends so the flanges touch hence you'll only need a tiny smear of putty to seal the tiny surface inperfections (its sealed at where the flange face meets). the tighter the faces meet the better the seal.

scaled.php

Cheers for the diagrams Paul.

My worry is that cutting the pipe flat would be trying to line them up perfect? The bolt holes aren't round they're quite wide.

But I guess lining one side up, tightening would then stop the other side moving out of line.

Just been to aldis and bought some tools. 16 spanners for 6.99 and 2 mallets for 7.00 :-D

Need to find a saw for precision and then a file

Going to pick up a hacksaw tomorrow and trim it down to 2mm or less should fit snug then

I had an 02 k11 centrepipe delivered to work like the first one today, back box from same supplyer too and both fitted fine no blowing at all, though i found when fitting this and my own the aftermarket zorsts and slightly tighter when fitting , possibly a lil shorter?

I had an 02 k11 centrepipe delivered to work like the first one today, back box from same supplyer too and both fitted fine no blowing at all, though i found when fitting this and my own the aftermarket zorsts and slightly tighter when fitting , possibly a lil shorter?
This is an 02 centre pipe and a 02 backbox from the same supplier, but it no fitting :(

that does look like it protrudes to far this was like the first pipe you recieved skymera but all fastened up good

that does look like it protrudes to far this was like the first pipe you recieved skymera but all fastened up good
Yeah, cheap pipes :(

I'm gonna let myself loose with a hacksaw tomorrow and see what happens. Cutting it down flush would work like Paul says, but i'd like a couple mill left to be honest.

i think i would cross slit it with the saw, and flare them back flat personally, with some gungum to seal the flanges together.
getting a metal to metal 2mm bead to seal all the way around would be a mission imo

i think i would cross slit it with the saw, and flare them back flat personally, with some gungum to seal the flanges together.
getting a metal to metal 2mm bead to seal all the way around would be a mission imo

Really? I was going to it like below... with the centre being on the left

scaled.php

That way the flanges would sit totally flat against each other still. It'd push together like male -> female. Coat up the entire flange in gungum and bolt together :oops:

ahh gotcha, if the backbox pipe is recessed then sure :)

Must've forgot to say >.< Yeah the backbox has an uneven 1-2mm recess (Again, boss welding ) behind the flange.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of my progress and/or wounds I end up with...

Back