Can rust react quickly?

ATM I am clashing with my exam and jobs. I am trying to get a good welder asap. I do need to get some panels for my other Micra. It's got wax oil on it which is good thing for me. There are rusts on front panel and both sills. ( it holds some water sometimes.) :(

Anyway right now, I want to leave my other Micra until next month.

I need your answers guys so can rust react quickly?

Cheers
Jk

You can get surface rust within days or hours. Nothing serious unless left for a long time.

If you see any, bit of elbow grease will get it all off :)

spread yes, eat away no, I've seen railway wagons left out for 20 years with only about half a mil eaten away. Rust expands to about 20 times the volume of steel because it forma uneven flakes, so always looks worse than it is. It can form jack rust between 2 steel panels though which can force the panels out of shape because of this...

spread yes, eat away no, I've seen railway wagons left out for 20 years with only about half a mil eaten away. Rust expands to about 20 times the volume of steel because it forma uneven flakes, so always looks worse than it is. It can form jack rust between 2 steel panels though which can force the panels out of shape because of this...
Your knowledge and big words arouse my nerd side.

For about 7 years I restored railway wagons at the avon valley railway, my favourite being on made in 1912. That was about 60% rust (no exageration) when we started, so I got a lot of knowlege about rust by the end of it. That and I restored a Triumph :p

cheers guys. i will send some pics so its got some holes on it and also rust bubble areas too.
front panel is ok so i can change new one completely but i am only worry about on these sills. it might be react everywhere.

these sills are killing me. :( so i need to sort these asap cos i tho rust can react quickly.:confused:
img4457fv.jpg

img4456pw.jpg

passenger sill. it looks ok so i can put rust treatment on this area. i think it got a small hump area so it might be carry with water. i will strip this car first then i can start my job on these rust busters!
img4451a.jpg

After i stabbed this driver sill with cross screw driver. some rust flakes and water came out.
img4512j.jpg

img4514bp.jpg

some rust flakes from driver sill and also water was there too.
img4511c.jpg

i bring this car down so there was some water came out from driver sill. :(
IMG_4667_zps4a5a011f.jpg

front panel with lower cross member. its ok but i can leave this later on. (its minors atm)
img4469fs.jpg

img4470i.jpg

your sills have rusted almost exactly the same as mine haha

we need better to sort ourselves asap then... if we dont then we will fail our mot. :(

all i need is to get a good used welder or to rent hss hire welders.

i can weld but i haven't done anything before. I watched my uncle who welded new lower cross member on my gx.

btw can you help me to get a good used welders so i will put some ebay links or i will need to rent one of hss hire welders. tig or mig?

cheers
jk

For sills I'd probably say use MIG instead of TIG unless you have a 4post ramp you can get it in the air with, as you can MIG one handed, and can run MIG of just CO2, TIG you have to manually feed filler wire which can be a b*stard if you're contorting to get under the car... and you need argon for clean welds wich is a tad more expensive. unless you plan on doing plenty of welding in the future then hire a mig, if you plan to buy make sure you get one that goes down to really low amps, or you'll be forever blowing holes in the bodywork! As for makes, I've had bad experiences with Murex, so avoid them. Others will recomend good makes, but its mainly the amps that is important.

I will stick with hss hire welder because it's easy to get it and also good rental plan to me. It will be ok to use about 3 days.

Anyway I need to put new complete front panel, both new sills and also driver side rear quarter panel. (maybe or can be fix with body filler.)

So I will get tig welder then? It got 130a/150a

http://m.hss.com/mt/www.hss.com/c/1014504/MMA-TIG-Inverters.html?un_jtt_redirect

Oh yea I don't want to get fuss welding like a messing one lol. I want to get neat welding one.

Cheers
Jk

Well, just bear in mind it takes practice to feed smoothly with one hand and aim the torch with the other, for beginers I think mig would be best.

Enuo said:
Well, just bear in mind it takes practice to feed smoothly with one hand and aim the torch with the other, for beginers I think mig would be best.

To be honset.... I can weld so I can do weld joints first then weld in one way smoothly like what u said earlier. It will be involve with drilling holes and use grinder to smooth these weld lines.

Oh yea, do you know my cousin from robot wars? I don't know if you know him. 'supernova' is one of best robot wars so far. He used to have few models in robot wars. Anyway I used to watch him that he welded with body frames. It was good times in back in days time. Sadly, we don't talk each other so he is old now and got his things to do in his life.

So shall I get Tig then lol? I will say that I am in between middle to advanced welders.

Please give me one more advice then I will do it.

Cheers
Jk

I am foolish... There is another thread which is about 'welder selection help'. I will go there to read it. :)

Any good choices on these hss hire welders that I want to get?

Cheers
Jk

we need better to sort ourselves asap then... if we dont then we will fail our mot. :(

all i need is to get a good used welder or to rent hss hire welders.

i can weld but i haven't done anything before. I watched my uncle who welded new lower cross member on my gx.

btw can you help me to get a good used welders so i will put some ebay links or i will need to rent one of hss hire welders. tig or mig?

cheers
jk

:) i cant stop,,,,,,,,, after reading that

I was wondering actually, are you saying you can weld because you have actually been taught and practiced on test pieces until you could get a consistent weld quality, or have you just watched someone and figure seeing someone do it is enough?

I watched with someone who welded things before such as my uncle who is owner of mechanic garage and my cousin from robot wars. i never touch or weld before but i can weld myself tho. i will get this mig welder over this weekend hopefully so i will train myself to practice on these metal sheets. ( i need to buy some metal sheets soon.) if i am ready then i will fix myself.

it was fully taught though. my uncle taught me to replace lower cross member. its on my gx blog. it wasn't good enough job (he didn't drill these holes). oh yea i used to weld in high school before. i gave up resistant material technology so i moved to food technology lol.

i never touch or weld before but i can weld myself tho.
This worries me, welding takes LOT of practice to get right, and you can't be middle to expert skill as you said in a previous post without even doing any proper jobs yourself. I've done loads of welding jobs repairing equipment as part pf my paid job, and have been welding for just over a year with a year of hands on training
at college before that. I consider myself a beginner at best. Middle to expert I'd expect at least one level of coding and/or a loooong list of successful jobs and hundreds of welding hours.

jk... I'm confused you say you've never welded but you can weld?!?

Just watching someone else do it doesn't mean you can weld, if I was you I'd take it to a garage and get them to do it.

ay man,,,you got to start somewhere :) . and this is our boy jk jumping on it !

jk bro spend some time with uncles welder with the mask on. keep hassle him till he lets you do some practice for sure mate,you gonna learn the settings in no time at all.(i wouldnt cause i got a stick welder :). )

My father was a marine pipe fitter in the dockyard, welding massive pipes for oil rigs. Carried the asmi asdic certificate, and his nickname was one rod, apparently a king among welders. I know from seeing his work...you could barely see the join.
A local boy messing about welding, blew a hole in his ribcage and nearly died, so, be careful please.
A job for the qualified in my eyes.

This worries me, welding takes LOT of practice to get right, and you can't be middle to expert skill as you said in a previous post without even doing any proper jobs yourself. I've done loads of welding jobs repairing equipment as part pf my paid job, and have been welding for just over a year with a year of hands on training
at college before that. I consider myself a beginner at best. Middle to expert I'd expect at least one level of coding and/or a loooong list of successful jobs and hundreds of welding hours.

yea its true. i will say most likely to beginner then.

jk... I'm confused you say you've never welded but you can weld?!?

Just watching someone else do it doesn't mean you can weld, if I was you I'd take it to a garage and get them to do it.

I used weld when i was in high school before. i never weld when my cousin & uncle show me before cos i was too young to do it. when i get this welder then i will upload some pics of my weld skills. I won't go to my uncle's garage anymore (too costly) but only if its major problems then i will go. i found a person who is part of welding company but he haven;t done on any cars such as body panels. he do only for long studs for people and also welded patches. he want try out on my other micra so i have to pay:rolleyes:. we will see when i order body panels. i am going to see and talk to him tonight. he is close to my work place. i will show him pictures of my other micras and the fixed price.

My father was a marine pipe fitter in the dockyard, welding massive pipes for oil rigs. Carried the asmi asdic certificate, and his nickname was one rod, apparently a king among welders. I know from seeing his work...you could barely see the join.
A local boy messing about welding, blew a hole in his ribcage and nearly died, so, be careful please.
A job for the qualified in my eyes.

ouch! he must be uncareful. i always to be careful when i use any dangerous/power tools etc.

Back