Brake Caliper Clearance

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I need help from the masses regarding my next choice of wheels for the SuperS.

For those on standard brakes, brakes from a 100NX, (AD18VE) and GTIR brakes, (AD22VF). I would like to know the dimension as illustrated in the attached image, (A). So I can accurately work out hub clearances, as the wheels we are having will be custom made to fit the car.

Please post brake type and dimension (A) and please no posts about what wheels, when, where, how etc. Only interested in dimensions at the moment, all will be revealed in good time :)

Attachments

• CaliperClearance460.gif
    CaliperClearance460.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 240
Cheers polly :) While you're there could you also measure the radius from the wheel centre to the outside of the caliper body, (need it to calculate the caliper to inner wheel rim clearances, IIRC it's around 160mm.

the max "C" you can get from a 13" steel is 160mm eh lowrider (but "A" would need to be near zero tho eh :eek:)

Attachments

• SDC12514.JPG
    SDC12514.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 187
Yeah, that's why we need dimensions 'A' and 'C'. I think the GTIR brakes will measure 160mm which is the ID of a 13" wheel, so too big. However we will be using a 3 piece wheel, so 'A' can be accommodated for without much of an issue and the ID runs parallel. I have a feeling we'll settle on the AD18VE caliper and disc for the short term but I will need dimensions in order to make the central hubs to accommodate for any offset 'A'.

Rear wheels with OEM disc brakes are not an issue thankfully.

the stock 13" steel is only 140mm tho mate, thats a pic of a 13" rim with a 14" centre welded in (welded to where the arrow is, to accommodate a bigger caliper)

Attachments

• SDC12517.JPG
    SDC12517.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 220
That's ok, we're not using stock wheels ;) Now I understand why the company who was making 4-pot caliper setups for Matt said it was not possible to get something to work with a 13" wheel. Looks like they may have used a wheel with a puny centre....

The wheels we will use have a 320mm ID, so plenty of clearance for brakes. We are wanting to scrap the GTIR's anyway due to them being heavyweights but knowing is good, so we can make sure we have everything in place come fitting time.

Ok, so pending a brake nipple modification one could say 'C' = 152mm. I am however a little confused with 'A'. On the diagram polly the disc hub face to caliper body looks to be 11mm, (6th measurement down), however the first step, (5th measurement from the top), is 15mm. I'm assuming it's just a diagram scale thing but please advise if not.

Hope that makes sense and thanks HUGELY for the measurements polly, you have mad attention to detail :)

Ok, so pending a brake nipple modification one could say 'C' = 152mm. I am however a little confused with 'A'. On the diagram polly the disc hub face to caliper body looks to be 11mm, (6th measurement down), however the first step, (5th measurement from the top), is 15mm. I'm assuming it's just a diagram scale thing but please advise if not.

Hope that makes sense and thanks HUGELY for the measurements polly, you have mad attention to detail :)

could prob grind the head of the nipple down abit so yea C= 152mm and yes the pictures not drawn to scale

Back