Speedo Drive Removal - Early 998 K11

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
OK, so has anybody got a surefire way of getting the speedo drive out.

Being a bit of a numpty, I've just dropped the gearbox oil and and now cant get the new back in. :(

Cheers gents.

they tend to corrode in mark :doh: usually if you remove the bolt and tap the upper bolthole sideways it breaks free and you can pull on the cable to draw it out

I'm sitting here wishing that I'd taken your advice Frank.

I've just spent the afternoon trying to get the speedo drive out and absolutely mullered it. This one is going to be expensive, its at least a gearbox out job. Not something I've done before so it'll have to be farmed out.

In order to get it mobile, how do I remove the N/S drive shaft, to fill the gearbox?

And what sort of angle will I need to get the car up to to refill the box?

the level is about 1/2 way up the shafts iirc mark, so you would need to lift the hub to about 2ft 6 i guess,
and if you take the 2 hub to leg bolts out and stick it on full lock, then you will be able to draw the shaft out of the diff :grinning:

Will the shaft just draw out of the diff or will it need some heavy handed encouragement, and how should this be applied?

I've had a more sucessful day today. I got the nearside drive shaft out , thats a rather satisfying click they make as they come free isn't it.
I then proceaded to jack the car up,....... and up,......... and up, as high as I dared, I suppose I must have got it up to about 35 degrees. I filled the gearbox and it took about 2 litres, I know this is a bit less than capacity but it will have to do.

Knocking the drive shaft back in (mole grips on the shaft, big hammer in hand) I managed to pull ithe drive shaft out of the cv joint on the hub. I took the boot off to get it back in and then went out to the motor factors to buy a stainless tie to hold the boot back on. These were nice and cheap each at just over a pound for a big and little pair, but of course they came in boxes of ten, so the one I needed cost £11.50 :( Still they are in the shed for when I need to do a boot for the next MOT.

When the car was back on the ground I slotted the speedo drive cable back into the output socket from the drive on the gearbox and took it for a spin, It still worked so I've built up around the cable outer end with epoxy putty to hold it in place.

So all in all its been a success. horay! Thanks again for the help Frank.

Back