Question that has been bugging me!?

W

winstonerogers

Hi,

I've been thinking, if someone had a modded Micra, like some of the ones here, with everything custom.

God forbid you were to have an accident, what would happen, would insurance pay for the custom or standard part, and would you go about getting it fixed if its custom?

Woooooooooh, thats feels good to get that off my chest!!!

i was tempted with K11Stew's micra the one with no boot and brava lights, i rang my insurance and when i told them everything it had they said £3000 for a quote. He is only selling the car for £1500 ! lol

All depends on your insurance company, I'm with Adrian Flux and previously with Performance Direct. All my modifications are covered like for like.

Obviously you pay more on your insurance for this, so get your no claims up and when you get past the magical age of 25 it all becomes soo much cheaper.

I have the corolla insured fully comp for £400 all mods declared like for like upto 7k's worth, 3k ICE cover, my no claims are protected which is 6 years, so if I need to claim on it I won't loose my no claims.

Kev

I'm currently with Norwhich union which wanted an extra £120 a year just for me to have 15" alloy wheels!

While i got a quote from CIS and they informed me there not bothered about how the car looks (ie body kit etc) but if the engines been touched it'll bounce it up. on the minus side they quoted me an extra £100 more than NU! lol

When sorting your insurance out you must always ask this question

"are my modifications covered like for like under this policy in event of a claim?"

Most will say yes they'll insure your car and charge you extra for your modifications but won't repair like for like in the case of claim, now that's them ripping you off. If you have modified insurance it should be a like for like swap.

Kev

wilsonian said:
I'm currently with Norwhich union which wanted an extra £120 a year just for me to have 15" alloy wheels!

While i got a quote from CIS and they informed me there not bothered about how the car looks (ie body kit etc) but if the engines been touched it'll bounce it up. on the minus side they quoted me an extra £100 more than NU! lol

I'm with CIS, and they ask for the value of the car. I said for mine much more than the car itself is actually worth as according to the insurance certificate it states, value of the car (including accessories), I'm assuming this is what covers the extra mods. :) CIS seem to be ok with all of my mods, they asked what I had but it didn't raise it by that much, and as I have now been with them for the 2nd year I am now only paying £600 with 3 years NCB, everything declared which aint too bad at 20. :D

Always wondered this myself, if I pay the extra cover for my ICE, mods and custom bodywork then I should get it repaired to that standard right?

goldstar0011 said:
Always wondered this myself, if I pay the extra cover for my ICE, mods and custom bodywork then I should get it repaired to that standard right?

It makes sense but some companies only tend to insure and payout to repair the car if it gets damaged to standard, which on a micra would be next to nothing. :(

I'm covered for like for like, but some of the stuuf can''t be replaced, so think i'd just get money value

Back