K11 Gearbox

CMF_Joe Rubie

» CMF Member
I have got the gearbox off the car and taken all the bolts off from around the bell housing. It comes apart for about a 1/4 inch but I can't completley seperat it. Is there something I have missed??

CMF_Joe Rubie

» CMF Member
I have got it passed the dowels and bits of bearing (I think) fell out. I had sized so something must be stuck, I will just have to leaver and bash it. Thanks anyway.

Joe

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
some little pawls jump out when you remove the outer bearing on the end of the cluster iirc joe !
and there is a section in the k10 haynes on the (pre-facelift 1.0 k11) RS5F41 g/box, which is very similar in design to the 1.3 and facelift 1.0

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
If you are referring to splitting the gearbox and removing the top casing, then you need to lift the casing to clear the dowels and rotate it around 20deg counter clockwise or there abouts, (I think it's counter clockwise), it will also require some tilting, (maybe 5deg from horizontal), to get it to clear the selector mechanisms. You get pretty good at finding the sweet spot once you've find it first time.

If you lift it straight up and proceed to lever and bash things, be prepared to wreck things.

If a bearing has dropped out, this is quite normal, as the top bearing race from the main input shafts quite often drop out. You can stop that from happening by removing the end plate which is used to shim the tapered roller bearings, (6 bolts), and remove the top race and shims for safekeeping.

Back