Exterior door rubber coming off

CMF_mitchgc

» CMF Member
I have no idea what you'd call this thing, but it's coming off! Haha. What is the best way to make sure it stays on?

IMG_0257.jpg

Cheers.

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Remove the trim and clean off all the old double sided tape from both the trim and the car body and then buy some new double sided tape made for auto trim and stick it back on.

CMF_mitchgc

» CMF Member
Micra_King WROTE:

"Remove the trim and clean off all the old double sided tape from both the trim and the car body and then buy some new double sided tape made for auto trim and stick it back on.
Cheers. :)

Can you recommend a cleaning product?

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
good luck its a mega pain.

the other option is a rubber buffing wheel, it fits in a drill. but as u want to reattach it i wouldnt bother. just wax and grease and retape

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
Take the trim off,clean the back with razor to remove any old tape, finish cleaning with wax n grease remover.
Clean panel with wax n grease remover, if paint is in real good nic it should b ready just to stick back on with 2x tape
If paint is old, deteriated, grubby etc its probably a good idea to hit it with some buffing compound before finishing.
Measure off the other side if need to position in right place and softly mark with pencil just below trim, clean pencil mark with compound.
Be carefull using wheels, not many K11s havent been resprayed and it might have been painted in acrylic laquer and therefore burn and mark
Glues not a good idea for the next person to work on it, but does give u a closer neat fit, but I wouldnt do it.

Rudy...

CMF_mitchgc

» CMF Member
This is the most f**ked up job to do. I tried kerosene to loosen the tape, did nothing. Had to use a flat head screw driver and pry all along the tape's edges and then go along sideways and slowly push it off. I'm thinking about just leaving the friggon rubber off. If it's going to be this much hassle if it ever happens again, it's not worth it.

Oh yeah did I mention I may have broke a hair dryer whilst trying to loosen the tape? Great fun.

Back