Brake Painting

Hi all, went to halfords and got myself some red oxide primer ad some caliper paint, what is the best way to go about prepping the calipers etc for painting :) cheers.

Hi all, went to halfords and got myself some red oxide primer ad some caliper paint, what is the best way to go about prepping the calipers etc for painting :) cheers.

I ground mine back as best i could with a wire brush fitting in a drill mate being real careful near any seals, then a rub off with some wire wool, quick degrease & the primer stuck to it like glue :)

also good to cove the banjo bolt hole with something to stop the muck getting in

Awesome, what did you use for degreaser? Does the paint stick well to the primer?

I use panel wipe mate but a bit of petrol on a cloth would work just as well :)

Yep paint sticks a treat to the oxide paint, put a good few coats of laquer on helps keep the brake dust from pitting the paint over time ( i even gave them a polish lol)

I painted my callipers over 2 years ago now....and never used a primer at all...Whoops, didn't even take them off the car LOL

DSC00049.jpg

I did clean them up first though :p ....with a wire brush and Meths to clean thoroughly etc...

Good luck with it...take your time...make sure you leave them to dry between coats
I did both in the same day and had my mum drive me to work in her car the following day
....just to make sure it had cured long enough
they still look fantastic 2 years later IMO...although when my dad decided to clean my wheels (which i hate him doing anyway) he used an "alloy wheel cleaning brush" which has plastic bristles...on a metal wire...so he chipped the paint going between the spokes <_<
... you can hardly tell though...so it's not all bad ^_^

Annoyingly (although it looks nice and sunny in the picture) it rained that evening so i had to balance a pair of rubber car mats over them to keep 'em dry :rolleyes:
if you have a garage door or carport to go under that would be easier ;)

never even thought to laquer them...maybe i should do over?...

It's all good, it's for some upgrades I've bought so aren't even on the car lol! Seems good then, and you are usin the same brake paint as me :) thanks buddy.

Yep i used the Halfords stuff too
....£10 bargain :p

That'll make it easier if it's not on the car already LOL
...probably turn out amazing then (as you won't have to worry about it dripping onto the disks or having to not drive for a day or 2 :p)

Umm...more than half the tin I think, it's still in the cupboard, seems to keep pretty well
...I could easily do my mums too...not that she would notice LOL
My brother has an Audi A4 avant s-line and was doing his in the Blue they do too...he only did the front 2 so far (he has disks all round) and he still has plenty enough to do the rears

I guess they put enough in the tins for people who have disks, and possibly bigger callipers, all round (as a standard K12 i only have them at the front and they're kinda small)

I did do 2 coats to ensure an even and smooth looking consistant coverage, the paint is relatively thick so i could have got away with a single coat but 2 looked a richer red.

Back