• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Rat

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
Took this K11 1996 3 dr 1.0 Vibe in part ex a while ago,I used it as a runabout in standard form for a while & kinda got attached to it then started fiddling..
16sbest.jpg
[/IMG]

As it arrived after a wash.
bumpstripsremoved.jpg

Running on standard Super S alloys in satin black with 185 60 13's.The 16"s in top picture are being restored,painted & need 2 tyres.Should be back on soon..

86093.jpg

Stripped out the interior & finished in black.Battery & cut-out switch fitted to rear.
batteryrear.jpg

Far too much red,bring on the darkness.
interiorstrip.jpg

Induction kit fitted kindly donated & adapted from a poorly Pug 206.De-catted the Micra too.Still using the standard back box,got to sort this soon as the wasp noise which was funny at first is now driving me mad.
inductionjustfitted.jpg

86095.jpg

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
I like it (Y) I'm not usually a fan of anything larger than 15s on a micra but the top pic looks ace. (Y)

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Very Nice, I'm thinking of putting the battery in the boot, but I'm trying to get hold of a battery well, found in some Landrovers or the Classic Mini.

Looks great and keep up the good work, what else are you thinking of doing?

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
I would think it'll depend on what type of alloy it is, sometimes they look big somes not, if you know what I mean. Look good anyway.

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
Thanks for the comments guys...
The 16"s are a 45mm profile which may be why they don't look too big on the rat.Slight rubbing on offside arch so need to source a panyard...Anyone got a spare one?I wondered how it works,does 50mm lower mean panyard is 50mm shorter?
I doubt you could carry passengers,not an issue with this car anyway!
The rat is running lumpy since the induction kit.Charcoal box removed,PCV is fed into the filter & the black/green pipe is capped.I've advanced the timing which helps but it's not 100%.Previous owner had just given it a full service shortly before disposing of it which was handy.I think they were chasing a distributor problem..
Future plans are:- panyard,light tints,headlight upgrade,upper/lower braces & possibly a rear cage.Going to colour code the bumpers soon & someone has done a pony job with an aerosol on the n/s rear quarter so I'll probably paint the whole side.Might satin black under the bonnet.Also still looking for stuff to take off to save weight,keeping the dash,carpet & headlining though.
Engine wise I'm intrigued as to what I can do with a 1.o litre.May try a 1.3 machined head & cams with some different injectors.I'll machine the flywheel too.
Blacked the door insides yesterday,the old Vibe seats are looking seriously out of place now.Going to paint the dash next.(More satin!)

newplatefish.jpg
[/IMG]

86097.jpg

scrapyardparts.jpg

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
Looks tidy man, very smart! I say keep the black alloys on - I think they look Fabu! :grinning:

The wheels were a cheap project.They came on a Super S we've messing around with.Needed 3 tyres at £10 each.
I'm going to use the 16"s (painted black) to give some more clearance under the car,there's a parking post in my drive and I have to run the wheels right over it or it bottoms out..I'll keep the 13"s for another project.
I'm going to tidy a set of steels up with fat tyres to run for a while too when some come in...

Managed to get an hour tonight for a tinker,it was running bad after fitting the induction so I refitted the charcoal cylinder & pipes,adjusted the timing & tickover and now it's fine again.
Blacked door insides on Tuesday night,need to deal with the dash & engine bay which is nasty reddy-pink colour

blackdoor.jpg
[/IMG]

nastyredenginebay.jpg
[/IMG]

evilsmiley.jpg
[/IMG]

13sfront1.jpg

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
[BDealt with the bumpstrip glue I've been driving around with for ages & started cleaning off the aerosol paint from the rear quarter some nutter slapped on.Still got red finger nails 2 days later.Not found any filler yet...I'm going to make time Sunday to thin the rest off & see what the damage is.
Been having a nose at roll cages.Only want rear section but I'm not paying £500.I'll have a word with the banger boys and see if they know someone..

][/B]
Modelling with a 2 bob Italian biscuit tin..
micrapunto.jpg

The last Vibe sticker still hanging on in there.The last trace apart from the chintzy front seats.
IMG_0952.jpg

Bad skin
IMG_0953.jpg

jim_bling

Ex. Club Member
oh dear defo needs painting mate the panhard rod (not panyard) keeps you rear axel straight mate so when its on the standard springs the axel is straight but when you lower it 50mm or lower the axel moves over to the right so the rear left hand side wheel will end up touching the chassis of the car and the right rear wheel will b sticking out of the engine so if some one was following you it will look like your car is crabbing down the street so the adjustable panhard rod pulls the axel straight again mate

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
oh dear defo needs painting mate the panhard rod (not panyard) keeps you rear axel straight mate so when its on the standard springs the axel is straight but when you lower it 50mm or lower the axel moves over to the right so the rear left hand side wheel will end up touching the chassis of the car and the right rear wheel will b sticking out of the engine so if some one was following you it will look like your car is crabbing down the street so the adjustable panhard rod pulls the axel straight again mate

Paint looks rough doesn't it.I thinned the rest of the aerosol paint from the n/s rear quarter off tonight,lump of filler 150mm x 150mm down low,why the culprit decided to fade the paint right up under the window I don't know!Looks better anyway despite the filler..
I understand the geometry of the bar,what I was getting at is there must be an equation as to shortening it to how much you have lowered the car.I'm going to do a few measurements & trim some off my original bar & re-weld.

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
keep the super s alloys they look great with how low the car is
They do suit the car well but I'll be upgrading the brakes soon to Sunny (see below) & they may touch the 13" wheels.I'll have to have a play...

Have some good & bad news..The bad first..I was dispatching an Omega today & the bloke who arrived 5 mins earlier had this on his truck.1.3ccSR,runner & driver with some minor n/s front damage.Too late to do anything,what goes in there only ever leaves squashed & no parts can be robbed.(Most of the time:laugh:)

micravictimblue.jpg

Would have made a great little brother to my van...

IMG_0336.jpg

Anyway,dry your eyes,she's off to China now so here's the good news...
Got the 1.4 Sunny with head gasket issues so my front brakes will be sorted soon as we get to stripping it...

sunny.jpg

Here's what was left under the moody paintwork I thinned off on Sunday.
Like the way the guilty bodger ended up fading the paint under the window with a low down repair.Class.
Filler is rubbish too,I'll grind it off,pull the drama out & start again.

badrearquarterpaintstripped.jpg

paint it all matt black. check my blog out. my old micra was matt black lol.
Ha I searched your old black car,looked mean,proper RaT black.What happened to it?
I wasn't that keen on the metallic red on mine but it has grown on me & most of it is very tidy so not much paint to do...
My mates got a thing about Kia Prides,we found him one in mouldy green in all it's 5 door glory which is going to be stripped & blacked soon as he loses his pony Golf. I'll whack a picture on for him,there's not much of a modded Pride scene going on apparently..

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
Ha I searched your old black car,looked mean,proper RaT black.What happened to it?

i sold it :( i wish i didt now lol. i loved it to bits.

i didnt like your red at first but i think its grown on me, its still not a courlor i would choose if i had to buy one though lol.

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
great progress, i think you should send one of them genuine scrapyard stickers out to me :D
The wonders of E Bay http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/NO-BRAKES-SPEED-SHOP__W0QQ_armrsZ1
He's got them in black too & some other goodies.
I spend a fortune on stuff I don't need during my alcohol fueled late night surfing sessions...

i sold it :( i wish i didt now lol. i loved it to bits.

i didnt like your red at first but i think its grown on me, its still not a courlor i would choose if i had to buy one though lol.
If I could choose it would be black but like the bright blue metallic too.
Have you got a blog on your old car?I looked but only found 1 picture...

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
Found some time after "work"to grind the old filler out.Scrape underneath-no rot.

badrearquarterpaintstripped.jpg

ground.jpg

filled.jpg

chinkychento.jpg
more Italian poo

Got a Primera 2.0 GT to strip so got a new steering wheel & will see if the seats are any good & not too heavy.
Need to lower a little more if I can bribe Ferrit into it.Speed humps are a nightmare anyway so another 20mm won't change my life

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
Looking good pal i like the styld your going for ! How much is it lowered by now ?
Checked it today (roughly) against the red car in the picture.80mm on the back,70 on the front.I'm not going to play further till I can get the 16"s on & try & find a balance between the 2 sets of wheels but I think the front will end up a little lower...
IMG_1036.jpg

As you can see I'm still busting the filler look.It's ready for paint but I'm very busy & when I had some time last weekend I started smoothing a rear bumper donated from the green auto goddess RIP.
1virgin.jpg

As you can see it's primed & nearly ready for paint.
Must try & get some time to finish this tomorrow,it's been laying around the workshop for days calling me...FONT]

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Nice project you've got going there. Expect to have some problems when switching to 16's though. Nis has plenty of scraping on the rear arches on bends and hard bumps and he's only lowered 35mm.......(mind you whiteline springs are a touch on the soft side), but I guess it'll depend on how you drive *wink *wink ;)

15's allow for the car to be taken to within an inch of it's life on a track but that's not something one can do on the roads ;)

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
looking great mate i want to smooth my bumpers off like but im to scared that i will mess it up great progress made

It's a long & dusty road to smooth bumpers!
I was lucky enough to have some spare bumpers so at least I did not have to rush.
Put it into colour today.Was tempted to try & fit it before I came home but knew I would put a few paw prints into it but here's the bumper itself...

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
Nice project you've got going there. Expect to have some problems when switching to 16's though. Nis has plenty of scraping on the rear arches on bends and hard bumps and he's only lowered 35mm.......(mind you whiteline springs are a touch on the soft side), but I guess it'll depend on how you drive *wink *wink ;)

15's allow for the car to be taken to within an inch of it's life on a track but that's not something one can do on the roads ;)

Thanks Mr.Rider..
I did have them on for a while & they were not too bad,Probably because they're a 45mm profile tyre but I do need to allign the rear up.
It sure is a rough old ride but at least I do not need to slow down for rounabouts now :laugh:

Nice, looks like quality work too!
Thanks Robert..I had the hot sun on my side so I could get a good coat of laquer on too.
Must get it on & pictured tomorrow..

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
Thanks B4 & Frank for the comments...
Ferrit boy instigated some serious workshop tidying which meant the death of a 106 that's been here too long,& all the stuff I stripped out of the RaT which was piled on the roof of the 106 is now gone too

This meant a clear workshop so we stayed late & cut the metal reinforcing bar down & fitted the bumper (The light had gone so no pictures till tomorrow.)

bumperbarcut-1.jpg

Found all the dash bits again & prepped & painted black.I've got a spare dash I'm going to do tomorrow & hopefully fit it over the weekend.

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
Straight to the point-Here's the bumper pics!

rearbumperfinished1.jpg

rearbumperfinished2.jpg

rearbumperfinished.jpg

I'm pleased with the new look...But now the tailgate looks faded & needs the wiper hole dealing with & the paint is marked under the fish badge (Excellent decoy)
I'm going to colour code the tailgate handle..and wonder whether to do the splash guards as well?
Your thoughts welcome...
ModdedMicra I'm going to get the front bumper started this week.I'm not that keen on the Super S bumpers so I'm going to do a standard one but I'm going to modify the number plate housing as soon as the new plate arrives.
Funny I ordered a number plate on beer about 4AM and guess what alcohol DOES impair your judgement,when it arrived it's slightly bigger than a fag packet.:wasntme: I'll fit it for a photocall but traffic division will definately not wear it....

micra_tom

MICRA FTW!
dude just read though your blog and you got some pretty cool things going on...Love that rear bumper...What part of London are you from if you dont mind me asking??

b47to

Ex. Club Member
mate that looks brilliant ,would have been something special if you molded the mudflaps into bumper.

smashing work thought

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
That rear bumper is a work of art, good work man, looking forward to the rest being done tbh.
Thankyou very much John..

i'am loving this so far :) that smoth bumper looks an excellent job. just need todo the front one now aye? lol.

Yeah you're right need to get the front under way,I've got a spare around somewhere.
Still working out what I want to do about the number plate too...

mate that looks brilliant ,would have been something special if you molded the mudflaps into bumper.

smashing work thought
I hear ya that would look good.Only problem is joining them together so they don't crack.
I might colour code the splashguards,you'd have to be right down on your hands & knees to see the join anyway!

chipedwood

Ex. Club Member
Nice bumper, what did you use to do it? Just normal car body filler?

Also what are you using to paint it? I presume that isn't an aerosol job?

OP
OP
sleeper_ss

sleeper_ss

Ex. Club Member
dude just read though your blog and you got some pretty cool things going on...Love that rear bumper...What part of London are you from if you dont mind me asking??

South London bruv.There's a few rude Micras round my way...
Checked your blog...any updates?

How's your luck came out to this on Monday morning.It's only been on 48 hours!Would have been good to get a couple of weeks of no damage...
I knew it would happen,all my cars get wrecked round here.Both bumpers on the Legacy were mint a year ago now they're battered & they trashed it robbing the stereo (broken) to buy crack.And they bent the door down on a 1987 Civic GTI that did not actually have a stereo??
Anyway,I compounded the worst off & it looks a lot better,couple of scratches.

bumperdamage.jpg